Wednesday, September 19, 2007

HOW CAN HE CALL?

Just got off the back of a pretty heavy week (well, 12 days) at the WSOPE. It was pretty cool working for PokerNews and a few people said that the updates were of a high standard. I wanted to brighten them up a bit, so hopefully I achieved that.

Working for PokerNews during the day and blonde at night meant just the 5 or 6 hours sleep per night, and now it's all finished, I've dropped into lazy mode - sleeping lots, eating badly and generally not getting much done.

There's loads to talk about regarding WSOPE, but I'm still playing catch-up with work. In the meantime, take a look at this hand from the final table...

8 remaining
Blinds = 6,000/12,000 (2,000)
Magnus Persson = 1,240,000
John Tabatabai = 933,000

Magnus raises to 29,000, John calls in cut-off, small and big blind call.

Flop = 8h-3c-4s

Magnus bets 65,000, John calls, blinds pass.

Turn = 2s

Magnus checks, John bets 145,000, Magnus calls.

River = As

Magnus checks, John bets 400,000, Magnus calls.

John = 5c-6d
Magnus = 9s-9c

In my opinion, I just can't see how he can call. With Pocket Nines, the only hand he is beating is a flush, and with the only draw hitting the turn and the blinds still left to play, it's highly unlikely John has air like K-Q or something.

If he has an 8 or an overpair, then surely he is checking behind Magnus on this board. The way the hand's gone, you'd need balls of steel to put what is virtually your tourney life on the line by getting your man to fold if you think he has an Ace.

Anyhow, it just didn't make sense to me and eveything screamed fold, but Magnus somehow found a call for what was possibly a pivotal moment in the tournament for both him and his opponent, John.

Let me know if you disagree, but I think Magnus will be ruing this faux pas after his 7th place finish.


3 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Random said...

Nice blog!!!
More people should read it. If you want, you can register your blog at www.pokerweblogs.com. It is free and and it automatically updates when you do an update, so visitors of our site can see when you updated your blog. The big advantage is that it will attract MUCH more visitors to your blog.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Amatay said...

Jeeeeeebosss. Snoop how did you get involved with working for Poker news and Blonde if you dont mind me asking?? Sounds like a cool job?

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger snoopy1239 said...

Hi amatay.

I started updating for blonde about two years ago. I was a member of their forum at the time and I guess they just thought I was worth a crack.

PokerNews asked me if I wanted to work for them off the back of what I'd done at blonde.

snoops

 

Post a Comment

<< Home