Tuesday, January 17, 2006

THE DUSTY PASSPORT

Just a quick message to say that I'm off to Copenhagen tomorrow for the PokerStars.com EPT event. Very excited, it's the first time I've been abroad in years.

It's been ultra hectic today. Last night I nearly soiled myself when I noticed that my dusty passport was out of date by almost a year. I can't believe I didn't check!!!

Anyhow, after a nervous browse over the Internet and a few anxious phone calls, I managed to book an appointment at the Passport Office in order to renew ASAP. Where's the office?

... LIVERPOOL ...

ARGH!!!

Surely planting one in a central location like Brum would be a good idea.

Anyway, I set off to Scouse land at 6.30 this morning. An ungodly hour for a poker player.

Arrived in plenty of time, but still had to endure the hassle of finding a post office, taking the photos, etc.

Also, I didn't realise that you had to wait four hours for the passport application to be processed. For some reason, I'd got it into my head that they just dipped a dab of glue on the photo and Bob's your uncle. Bit hopeful really.

So I had to mince around Merseyland for 4 hours while I waited for my passport. It was bloomin' freezing and I was bored senseless. Everyone looks so Scouse too. Way too many kids in tracksuits.

Ah well, eventually I obtained my new passport. I was convinced that they were going to inform me of a problem on collection.

Regarding the rest of the week, it's gone pretty well. I got dumped out of a £50 freezout on Will Hill by a muppet calling my all-in with A-8, but I can't complain too much. I did have K-T off.

I managed to win the Gala £30 freezout on Sunday. I only really play it for fun and as a bit of practice. The £530 comes in handy though if I do hit the top spot. Coming first out of 65 players, however good they are, is always good for morale.

I think I played pretty well too. No shocking outdraws. I beat A-Q with A-9, but I also lost a massive pot with KK v AJ. If my memory serves me right, I was only all-in once. AK v 77 v AJ. The AJ was a tiny stack, but that second ace took away an out. I hit the flop though and more than doubled through.

Maybe I should go to the Gala more often. In my last 3 visits I've finished 1st, 3rd, and 2nd. Not bad. I hope it wasn't a fluke.

In the end, this comp went to a 5 way chip count. 1st was £530, so I only dropped £60. My chip lead was pretty substantial by the end. In the last few minutes, I raised virtually every hand. They were dying to reach a chip count and weren't going to play without aces.

Nice to see me hitting the final with the chip lead. This also occurred when I came 3rd. Okay, the calibre may not be top notch, but it's still a promising sign.

Right, enough of my inane waffling. Must pack!

Hopefully I'l expand on some of this in Copenhagen. The lappie's going with me so I'll try and keep the blog busy if I can.

snoops

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home