Wednesday, January 11, 2006

THE POKER EGO

Last night, some high roller sat down on a Will Hill cash table with in excess of 2 million dollars. This was a 150/300 limit game with the nearest stack holding around 40k. Now, is it just me or this a simple case of massaging one’s ego?

First off, why on earth do you need to sit down with 2 million? Are you hoping that some fish is going to pop down next-door with the same amount and double you up? Sorry, but I’m a bit short this week.

Secondly, this is a limit game. Agreed, the limits are rather large, but even so, it would take you a while just to give your money away.

Thirdly, is it wise to advertise that you’re a millionaire? Maybe I’m wrong on this one, I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t think it was a good idea to let everyone know that you’re exceedingly wealthy.

Perhaps he’s just been sitting there for the last five years, plugging away on that very table. Maybe he sat down with just a couple of grand. I guess it’s possible, but I think even I would have succumbed to temptation and cashed out.

My guess is that he’s stonking rich and wants to brag about his dosh. To be perfectly honest, while I’m sitting here being a grumpy so and so, I have to confess that I have once or twice sat down with my entire bankroll. It may have only been a mere 10k or something, but I just couldn’t resist sticking it all in front of me just to see what it felt like to be one of the big guns.

Not sure why I’m writing about this. It just felt so surreal to see someone seated with such an excessive amount in front of them. Completely bizarre. Made me think of how much good that 2 million could do, yet here it was, lying on the felt of an online cash table.

So, a very odd image, but I guess I’m not in a position to criticise. I too am a victim of the poker ego having sat in on a high roller’s game. I then immediately sat out and refused to play a hand. It was a complete ego trip, just to present the illusion of prosperity. It makes no sense at all now, but, at the time, it somehow made me feel quite good.

I can't be in the minority, surely...


1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger andy said...

2 mill? wow how much interest is he losing on that each day like £270 at 5%p.a?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home