Monday, December 31, 2007

(8) SKATING ON THIN ICE

Barely played yesterday, felt like shit and I could definitely sense that my head wasn't in the game. As soon as my eyes went a bit blurry and I began making unforced errors, which was only after two hours, I called it a day. I think I might be coming down with the flu; sore throat, slight headaches and a mild case of the sniffles. I seem to have a little bit of everything, which is why it probably wasn't a good idea to go venturing out into the big wide world and go iceskating!!!

I was really hesitant at first. One, I've never iceskated before, two, it's outside, and three, I've never iceskated before! "Don't worry," soothes Dana, "everyone falls over." When we arrived, I didn't see one person sitting on their ass, instead they were whizzing around like Torvill and Dean on speed! I quickly tucked my shirt into my underpants and prayed to Ice Gods.

It was an odd set up really. Every year for two months, they reel out this rink, as if they have it folded up in a stockroom somewhere, and lay it out in front of the National History Museum. Then random people from across London pop over to skate round and round and round... and round and round on the ice until their hour is up. Then that's it. We humans really are an intriguing bunch.

It was actually quite fun in the end. My brief stint as a child with rollerblades had served me well as some of the techniques successfully transferred over to the ice. In fact, it was Dana who fell over, and now has two bruises to show for it. She bruises like a peach that girl!

One thing that did infuriate me were the other skaters. I could never really get into full flow or gather any speed because there were either people going slow (some even stopped!) to close to the centre and others, affectionately know as 'The Cocks', trying to show off by weaving in and out of those less exprienced than them. This meant you had to keep stopping and starting every second. God damn people, why are there so many of them!

Back to the poker, I actually was rather fortunate during the session, which is another reason why I stopped. I won a big coinflip with Tens vs. Big Slick and chased a couple of hands that hit the River, one in particular would have raised the odd eyebrow, but I knew I'd get paid off if I hit. Either way, I shouldn't have been in the hand and I was swelling up pots unnecessary, so I left before it got messy, even if I was only 30 bucks to the good.

It's strange how a profit can make some of my stats worse, but at this point in time, the hourly and daily rates are pretty skewed and won't signify anything until later. Also, leaving early gave me the chance to have a rest, catch up on some blonde poker work and spend some quality time with the Mrs. In other words, stay out of the doghouse.

biggest pot won: $786.00
biggest pot lost: $482.40
time at the table: 1hr 58min

profit = $34.59
blonde poker account = $2,453.96
$2,546.04 to go before the tax man goes away

Days played = 8
total time played = 31 hrs 50 mins
current $ per hour = $36.25
current $ per day = $144.25

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Wildcat said...

Best of luck for 2008 mate :)

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Mick McCool said...

Happy New Year Adam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home